Rail Industry Worker Competence

As the accredited rail transport operator for the Country Regional Network (CRN), John Holland must, so far as is reasonably practicable, ensure that any individual who is carrying out rail safety work on the CRN has the competence to carry out that work.

To meet these obligations John Holland must have in place a system of identification and competency management, which includes a profile of rail safety work and a system for recording the qualifications workers hold.

John Holland has implemented a Rail Safety Worker competence management system known as Rail Industry Worker (RIW) and all rail safety worker training records, skill sets and competencies are managed by MTA.

All contractors who want to work on the CRN must hold a Rail Industry Worker Identification Card issued by MTA.

Requirements for a Rail Industry Worker Identification Card

The minimum requirements for obtaining a Rail Industry Worker Identification Card are as follows:

  • RSW medical
  • OHS Work Cover Construction Industry Induction
  • Rail Corridor Induction (TSA, RISI or equivalent)
  • CRN HSE Induction
  • RSW qualifications and competencies for the work being performed
  • Global Mandatory Requirement (GMR) Training

Evidence of these requirements will be required to apply for a Rail Industry Worker Identification Card, as issued by MTA.

All contractors undertaking rail safety work as identified in our Rail Safety Worker Competence Profiles (as per below) will be required to ensure they meet our competency requirements for undertaking the following tasks.

National Track & Civil Matrix

National Plant Matrix

Note: All contractors MUST select the profile “CRN Operator – On Track” in addition to tasks they are required to complete


Protection Officers

Protection Officer roles and competency requirements on the CRN can be found here - CRN Safeworking Matrix

You are required to assign and meet the competency requirements of the following applicable CRN Protection Officer roles, before you are able to undertake any Safeworking duties on CRN:

  • CRN – Protection Officer 1
  • CRN – Protection Officer 2
  • CRN – Protection Officer 3
  • CRN – Protection Officer 4

You must also meet the requirements of the ‘CRN Operator – On Track’ role.

A recertification of these Protection Officer roles is required every 2 years and evidence of this must be verified in RIW.

Recertification must be completed by a registered RTO.


How to apply for the Rail Industry Worker Identification Card

You can apply for a Rail Industry Worker Identification Card by completing the following steps:

  1. Complete the JHR HSE Induction process if you have not already done so
  2. Gather together electronic copies of your rail safety worker qualifications
  3. Go to the Rail Industry Worker website at https://www.riw.net.au/ and click the link on the main page to start the registration process
  4. Upload electronic copies of your qualifications and competencies as well as a photocopy of your JHR HSE Induction Card & GMR
  5. Order and pay for your card
  6. Complete the online ID verification process

You must carry your Rail Industry Worker Identification Card, as issued by MTA, with you at all times. You cannot carry out rail safety work on the CRN without it.


Please contact John Holland if you have any questions about the Rail Industry Worker Identification Card:
Email: crn.l&d@jhg.com.au

Please contact MTA if you need assistance with the online card application process:
Phone: 1300 101 682

Frequently asked questions and other useful information is also available at: https://www.riw.net.au/training/