Third Party Work Enquiries

Any party seeking access to the rail corridor within either the operational or non-operational lines of the Country Regional Network (CRN) must submit an application to our Third Party Works team. 

Access permission is required for activities such as:

  • Undertaking surveys or inspection of assets;
  • Undertaking construction within the rail corridor (e.g. installation of pipelines, communication cables or other forms of capital works);
  • Undertaking maintenance of assets within the rail corridor (e.g. road maintenance at level crossings);
  • Community events;
  • Boundary fencing; and
  • Any other access requirements.

Note: if an activity is not listed above, you must assume access permission is required before entering the CRN rail corridor. Please ensure you have reviewed and collated all relevant application information (see below) before applying.  Incomplete applications may result in delays to your approval. 

To submit an application please contact

Application and Licencing Fees

All applications incur an application fee as determined by Transport for NSW (TfNSW). Fees vary according to the type of access required and the infrastructure being installed. Annual licence fees may also apply. 

Approval in Principle

An application to seek Approval in Principle (AIP) is required for all major works e.g. new bridges, track realignment, private siding connections, rail infrastructure works or for an initial review of a proposed project.

Upon review of the application, an AIP letter will be provided outlining any initial conditions or requirements that have identified. An AIP is valid for a period of 12 months.

Approval in Principal does not permit the commencement of any physical works or activities.  A construction application must be submitted, and an executed licence issued before access to the land will be granted. Any conditions imposed in the AIP letter must be fully addressed in the construction application.

Types of Licences

A licence will be issued to successful applicants upon approval of their application. The type of licence depends on the proposed works or activity. These include:

  • Minor Activity Licence
    • A Minor Activity Licence is issued for short term activities that will leave nothing behind. This includes:
      • Survey;
      • Inspections;
      • Community events etc.
  • Infrastructure Licence
    • An Infrastructure Licence is required for any works that involve the installation and maintenance of any infrastructure within the rail corridor. This includes for example:
      • Footpaths;
      • Service installations;
      • Overbridges etc.

Other available licences include:

  • Grazing Licences;
  • Level crossing licences;
  • Permitted Loading Licences; and
  • Heritage Operator Licence

Application Requirements

Please find below an outline of the documentation required to be submitted with the application.

Approval in Principle

General Construction

Service Installations

Minor Activities

Permitted Loading

Road Resurfacing

Heritage Operator

Accessing the CRN

The applicant and/or their contractors should familiarise themselves with CRN-GDL-RLS-001 Accessing the Country Regional Network.  This stipulates the training and competency requirements for entering the rail corridor.  Please note that Safely Accessing the Rail Corridor (SARC) training does not automatically permit access to the rail corridor.  Any person accessing the rail corridor must do so under an executed licence.

Service Searches

All applications that propose excavation must include a recent Dial Before You Dig report.

Rail corridors can contain buried signal and other communication cables. When breaking the ground within the rail corridor the applicant must also download and complete CRN-FRM-OPS-016 Third Party request for location of signalling services form.

Insurance Requirements

Applications must include insurance certificates in the name of the company that will own the infrastructure or be undertaking the proposed activity within the rail corridor. The required level of cover for Public Liability is detailed below:

  • $250 million for operational passenger lines;
  • $50 million for operational freight lines; or
  • $20 million for non-operational lines.

The insurance certificate must 'Name' Transport Asset Holding Entity of New South Wales and John Holland Rail Pty Ltd (not 'Note' or 'Interested Party'). 'Naming' is also known as 'Jointly Insured' or 'Additionally Insured.'

Professional Indemnity insurance:

  • $20 million

If any of the above insurance requirements cannot be met, please complete an Application for Concession form and attach it with the application.

Processing Times

Applicants should allow between 6 and 12 weeks for the assessment and processing of the application. Delays will be incurred to this timeline if the required documentation has not been fully supplied.  We encourage that all information listed in the checklist be uploaded initially to help expediate the application. 

Contact us

For any enquiries on the Third Party Process or help with your application please contact or call 1300 661 390.